Friday 28 January 2011

Tough Times Ahead


So unfortunately, the Retail industry is still struggling in Britain. After the snow of December, with the difficulties for customers in getting out of the house, everyone seems to be cutting back and developing strategies to gain back those lost sales. Ordinarily this would mean lots of lovely sales for us to pick up some fantastic bargains. This is the case, for instance I happened to stumble upon some gorgeous Russell and Bromley boots on Saturday that I had wanted months and months ago but couldn't afford at £165. I treated myself (with the credit card - naughty I know!) as they could not be left on the shelf at £69. That's £94 off!! So yes there are bargains to be had, and if you're like me and willing to use your credit card on these desperate occasions, as long as you know you have the money to pay it off, then you can take advantage. However, for most of us, this is something we simply cannot afford. Even with everything 70-75% off, style is still too expensive. The rise in VAT and cost of living across our lives has meant that such luxuries as new shoes and handbags have had to be placed to one side while we scrimp and save to pay our heating bills. So I have adopted a new approach to shopping. I will browse from time to time, in the shops and online, but I've limited myself to only a couple of hours a week in the hope that this means I will find less I want to exchange money for. So far, apart from the shoes, I'm doing well. I have seen nothing I truly want even though I know full well there are things out there I could buy. The only things I will allow myself to buy are anything I need, for instance some new pants for work, and they either have to be a bargain investment piece that I know I will wear a million and one times, or a cheap option from Primark and the likes. This way I know that I'm either not spending much, or spending a little more but (I keep telling myself) saving money in the long run. As much as I hate the idea, it's all about a "capsule wardrobe" in this economic climate. No one can afford to be out buying the latest trends every couple of weeks anymore, and so we must learn to mix and match. I'm also taking to my sewing again, producing dresses for work and adapting clothes I'd given up hope of every wearing again in the hope that they will present a new option.


Keep me updated with how you're fighting any money issues! We all need help with ways of coping. Going cold turkey is tough for anyone, but for a shopaholic, it's devastating!


Sleep well for now, we'll get through it together.


Lots of love,








P.S. Here are the shoes to inspire your ultimate bargain hunting. They make me very happy :D


Russell & Bromley 'Hi-tide' lace-up boots

No comments:

Post a Comment