Saturday 22 January 2011

Capturing Style

When you type in 'Fashion Photography' in to Google Images, you get a stunning array of images covering all fashion trends over many many decades.  From the most modern images such as those from Patrizio di Renzo  with his striking patterns, to the vintage images of Bruno Benini, there's plenty of inspiration to go for. Personally, though I adore the modern images, finding them provocative and thought-provoking, my fashion sense tends to stray towards the vintage or more plain images of simple fashion statement. Classic images resonate with me and provide me with my best inspiration. I can appreciate the work in any piece of art or design, but simplicity is always key to me. Clear cut lines for classic looks create timeless pieces of fashion that will surpass trends for centuries. Perhaps this is why when I look through the collections for this season, those that stand out to me most tend to be the likes of Calvin Klein with their clean white garments and Jil Sander with her plain yet appealing colour blocking.


3106_268e7d355d4aa6343b8051edbfc2f946

Calvin Klein SS11 Collection, source http://www.fashionbloggers.org/calvin-klein-ss11-rtw/


As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of monochrome images and fashion. This year, the SS11 collections have displayed this colour choice in abundance. David Koma, successfully combining edgy looks with beautiful delicate dresses and floaty skirts, has showcased monochrome spectacularly. 



Apologies for the lack of colour in this post. But if you're like me, you'll be able to appreciate the beauty in all these pieces, including the use of monochrome colours. In fact, the final image from David Koma makes me think of the new Natalie Portman film which I cannot wait to see. If anything, The Black Swan will be a perfect portrayal of both monochrome fashion and emotions, the fight between the dark and the light. In this film, these colours are separated totally from one another to portray different emotions and states of mind. Thankfully in our lives, we don't have to make that distinction. As these SS11 collections have shown, black and white can be used harmoniously together to create masterpieces for our wardrobes.



Sleep well fashion lovers.

Love,



No comments:

Post a Comment